Glen Magna Page
| The Carriage Road was once an Avenue of Elm Trees planted
in 1816 by the eldest son of Joseph Peabody. The graceful arching
elm trees were lost to disease in the 1950s and replaced in the
1970s with pin oaks. In 1859, George Peabody, son of Joseph, agreed
to relocated the Newburyport Turnpike (Route 1) to the west, if
the Town would discontinue the use of the avenue as a public road.